You may have heard that there was a craze sweeping the Internet this spring of faking various sci-fi and fantasy scenes. There was Vadering, Hadokening and of course, Pottering! Some of my friends and I are big Harry Potter fans, so when this came up, we decided it was finally time to jump on board this train. We had at least one member from every house, including one sad Slytherin who couldn’t find his gear and decided to sit out so he could be our photographer (thanks, Ryan!)
We had so much fun trying this. There were lots of laughs and we got a bit of attention with all of us hopping around with various floor cleaning tools between our legs. I even made up a little back story for us (15 year reunion pick up game, anyone?) Afterwards, I was so stoked to try to get this event into my Project Life binder but, as with other events in the past, I struggled to make it work within the PL structure. Now that I’m revisiting some of my past Project Life pages, I decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to do it justice.
I had most of the look set in my mind before I started. I knew I wanted white paper as the base and was going to use plain papers in the main house colors as accents. I found a green, yellow and red spotted washi tape in my stash that I wanted to use to connect the two pages more.
I used a dark and light Mister Huey’s on each page, blue on the left and red on the right. I then dripped gold Mister Huey’s on both sides. With the left side, I glued the colored strips to a bigger piece of paper to keep them all in line and make aligning everything easier. After that was down, I added the washi tape as a border. I put the photo down, but I felt like it got lost in the color, so I put some white cardstock behind it to help give it a bit of pop. Lastly, I added the thickers (Kitten by American Crafts) with a red Martha Stewart by Avery sticker behind it to give it another boost of color.
After I’d established the look, putting the right side together was a snap! I wanted to feature these smaller behind-the-scenes photos as the main part of the layout and do very little to distract from it. So, I used them as the bar on this page, added a strip of washi to the top and bottom and cut the house colors into little banners for the right side. I hung them a little oddly because it reminds me of the banners hanging in the Great Hall of Hogwarts. I’ve considered putting quidditch rings below the images, but for now, I like how uncluttered it is. The focus is on the images and I like it that way.
I’m very happy with how these came out, especially compared to how I felt about them when I tried to put them into Project Life. This is a better way to view them. And it’s my first two page spread! It was surprisingly easy and I hope to do more in the future!
Thanks for checking it out and let me know what you think in the comments below! Hufflepuff forever!